Weekly Spinner Picks for 12/17/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Batman #37: I’m back on board buying Batman on a monthly basis and I love it! I was trade waiting this title for a long time but I really just can’t stand the wait! This issue is part 3 of Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo’s End Game and it should be a dandy! This creative duo rarely disappoints. The only thing that could potentially disappoint me is if I don’t get the Darwyn Cooke variant cover! It’s a beauty!

Kitchen #2: This is part two of the new crime drama from Vertigo Comics. The mob men have been locked up and their ladies are trying to keep the money flowing in crime-filled Hell’s Kitchen. I have to admit the first half of issue one was pretty cliché but it took enough interesting twists in the second half to keep me intrigued.

Wytches #3: This is my second title written by Scott Snyder on my list this week. I really love everything about this series from the writing to the coloring to Jock’s amazing artwork! This issue is tagged as every parent’s worst nightmare: a beloved child lost in the woods. I’ll have to read this one in the daytime. I can get rather freaked out over stories involving children.

Comments

spicytoilet's picture
A slow week for me, but here are the ones I want:

Rumble #1 I’ve been checking out the “A scarecrow walks into a bar” ad on my Image comics for the longest time. And it’s holding a pretty bad ass sword. The story about this scarecrow warrior god has been described as Louis C.K meets Robert E Howard in a David Fincher universe. I can't picture it, luckily I’ll be buying this one!

Sandman Overture #4 What has seemed like an eternity is finally going to come to past. Issue four is almost out. All I can say is FINALLY!
RobertJCross's picture
Oh ya! Finals week at school...but that doesn't sway me from reading comic books!

Annihilator #4: This comic is one of my favorites of 2014 and with the new year fastly approaching, we're almost to the end of this short 6-issue run! I'm going to miss this one very badly. Almost as badly as Ex-Con...maybe more so.

GI Joe (2014) #4: Another great comic that keeps surprising me month in and month out with its relentless portrayal of modern military tactics. This is not your grandpa or your father's GI Joe, this is a whole new monster and blood is spilling every issue.

Godzilla Cataclysm #5: This is it, the end of the road for the G-Man (at least for this run). Parting is such sweet sorrow and I loved most of what was done here art-wise. It opened my eyes to the deft color palettes of minimalism and memory. It will be missed.

That's what I'm looking forward to!...that and winter break! Until next time, true believers!