Spinner Picks for 04/05/2017

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list in the comment section below!

Here are our hot picks of the week!

X-Men Gold #1: Yes!! If last week’s X-Men Prime #1 is any indication the X-Men are back in a big way! The Gold team is written by Marc Guggenheim and drawn by Ardian Syaf. This team was my favorite when all the new titles were announced. I’m super stoked for this issue. I can’t wait to see Kitty, Nightcrawler, Storm, Colossus, Old Man Logan, and Prestige in action.

Batman #20: This is the conclusion to what has been an amazing arc by Tom King and David Finch. They’ve promised an epic conclusion pitting Bane against the Dark Knight one-on-one. I have no doubt they’ll deliver a solid issue.

Savage Things #2: A very entertaining first issue of this new Vertigo title has given me high hopes for this series. Written by Justin Jordan and art by Ibrahim Moustafa this gritty black ops story has plenty of intrigue and suspense with a good cast of characters.

Shade the Changing Girl #7: This has been my favorite title under the DC Young Animal imprint. The story and art have been wildly entertaining and original. The first arc has concluded and this issue is solicited as a stand-alone. It is written as always by Cecil Castellucci with guest artist Marguerite Sauvage! With a winter dance approaching Shade reminisces about high school on Meta.

Rock Candy Mountain #1: This new action-comedy series published by Image Comics is written and drawn by Kyle Starks. He brings us into the world of the world’s toughest hobo as he searches for the mythological Rock Candy Mountain. I’ve read through an advance of this issue and let me tell you it’s a whole pile of fun with plenty of hobo fighting.

Black Cloud #1: A news Image series written by Jason Latour and Ivan Brandon with art by Greg Hinkle. The series centers on Zelda who is born in a world where dreams come true. When the dreams turn to war she finds herself exiled to earth but she is still the key to revolution in her own world. It sounds like a lot of fun and the preview pages I’ve seen look amazing.

Eleanor & the Egret #1: A new series by Aftershock Comics taking place in Paris where a daring art thief has struck again and the police have assigned their best detective to the case. Written by John Layman and drawn by the legendary Sam Keith.

Royals #1: Just like the X-Men the Inhumans are having a Resurrxion of sorts as well. This issue is written by Al Ewing and drawn by Jonboy Meyers. This is being solicited as a space epic that take the Inhuman Royals into the unknown. If you’ve been curious about the Inhumans now is the time to get on board.

Comments