Weekly Spinner Picks For 10/09/2013

stephengervais's picture
Here are my most anticipated comic book releases for the week. Use the comment section below to tell us yours.

Batman #24: With Villain’s Month behind us writer Scott Snyder and artist Greg Capullo bring us chapter 4 of Zero Year. I found the month long wait for this title to continue to be a long one. Not only do I love this series and this current story arc but the month was filled with at best mediocre villain’s stories.  Luckily for us this will be a double-sized issue to help us forget those 3D covers and the nonsense that filled them. This issue has Batman continue his pursuit of the Red Hood Gang and promises a major surprise. Count me in!

Eternal Warrior #2: Issue number 1 of this series caught me by surprise. I honestly wasn’t expecting much and was more than pleasantly surprised. The story by Greg Pak was action packed and the artwork by Trevor Hairsane captured the action perfectly. There was a great twist at the end that left me anticipated the next issue. Well played Mr. Pak, I’m hooked!

Shaolin Cowboy #1: The first thing that caught my eye about this title was that artist/writer Geof Darrow was associated with it. I fell in love with Darrow’s artwork in Frank Miller’s classic tale Hard Boiled. He packs an insane amount of detail into each frame. I spent hours pouring over each page. After a bit more research I discovered this is actually the return of the Shaolin Cowboy. It was a 7 issue series originally published by Burlyman Entertainment. After I read this current incarnation of the title published by Dark Horse Comics I’ll try and track the original series down. I have also read that we newbies to the series have nothing to fear, the issue opens with a 2 page back-story of the character. I’m really excited for this one.

For all you trade-waiters out there tomorrow is going to be expensive! There’s a pretty big list of quality trades coming out. The ones I’ll be trading in my weeklies for are and buying eventually are: Lazarus vol.1, Colder, Thor God of Thunder vol.2, Thanos Rising, Batman City of Owls vol.2, Battling Boy vol.1, and God Hates Astronauts vol.1.

Comments