Weekly Spinner Picks For 03/11/2015

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Just looked over the new release list and this is going to be a massive week for me!! There’s so much good stuff coming out I can’t even include some of my favorites in this week’s Spinner Picks for concern of the article’s length! I have to skip over Ms Marvel #13, Ant-Man #3, and Star Wars #3 just to keep my list an appropriate length! Alright let’s get right into it shall we?!

Howard the Duck #1: Ever since the end credit (Spoiler Alert!!) of Guardians of the Galaxy I’ve been hoping for a new Howard the Duck series. I’ve read part of original run and it was great fun! With the creative team of writer Chip Zdarsky and artist Joe Quinones I have faith the magic will be recreated.

Bill & Ted’s Most Triumphant Return #1: Yes the return of Wyld Stallyns!! I’m a huge fan of the film franchise and got very excited when Boom Studios announced this title! It’s being written by Brian Lynch with the art duties handled by Jerry Gaylord. The comic takes place after the second film and guides us through how Bill and Ted fulfill their destiny as the inspiration for galactic harmony! On a side note what ever happened to Alex Winter?

Ninjak #1: This is quite possibly the comic I’m most looking forward to this week and maybe even this month! I’ve been waiting patiently for Valiant to announce this title basically since their relaunch 2 years back!! They put a great creative team on it consisting of writer Matt Kindt and artist Clay Mann. I still have my foil cover of issue #1 from the 90s and still crack it out at least 3-4 times a year to look it over. Ninjak is such a great character. I’m super excited for this one! The opening arc has Ninjak hunting the Shadow Seven – a secret cabal of shinobi masters with mysterious ties to his training and tragic past.

Southern Cross #1: We can’t have a week without some Image #1s on the list right??! I have 3 on my list this week but this is the one I’m most looking forward to. It’s written by Becky Cloonan and drawn by Andy Belanger. On a side note my buddy says they’re dating but I’ve never seen confirmation on this! The series is inspired by classic mysteries with the main protagonist looking to find out how her sister died.

Spawn Resurrection #1: Yes I know Spawn #250 was pretty bad but I have faith that this new creative team of writer Paul Jenkins and artist Jonboy will steer the franchise back in the right direction. At least I hope they do!! It’s the official return of my Spawn growing up, Al Simmons. No one quite knows where he’s been but he’s come back a changed man!

The Surface #1: This is a new sci-fi series written by one of my new favorites Ales Kot. I started taking notice of his work last year and I must say I’ve thoroughly enjoyed everything I’ve read of his. This adventure takes place in Africa with the East and West moving in to search for a place that can change everything. Sounds fun! The art is handled by Langdon Foss with colours by Jordie Bellaire.

Hellbreak #1: Time to give Oni Press some love on this list! This latest series is written by Cullen Bunn and drawn by Brian Churilla. I personally discovered Churilla’s artwork a few years back on a series he wrote and drew, The Secret History of DB Cooper. Ever since then I was always try and pick up whatever he’s working on. I really enjoy his style. The series focuses on a special team that rescues lost souls from many different Hell dimensions. As an added bonus this opening issue is only a buck!

Mouse Guard Legends of the Guard volume 3 #1 (of 4): Mouse Guard celebrates its 10-year anniversary in 2015! Congrats on this huge accomplishment to creator David Pederson. This Boom collection features work by some big industry names paying homage to the Eisner and Harvey Award winning series.

Comments

RobertJCross's picture
Man oh man, what a week!

Batman - Arkham Knight #1: If you haven't played the Arkham games, then you are truly missing out on absolute gold. I'm super excited for this comic that takes place between the Arkham City game and the Arkham Knight game. I'm definitely buying the game for my PS4 (plug) and I hope a lot of people do too! Stoked!

Bill & Ted’s Most Triumphant Return #1: I grew up with Bill & Ted on my television almost constantly and I love both Keanu Reeves and Alex Winters even after the franchise stopped being produced. I'm gonna be bummed if they don't have Rufus (George Carlin) in there, but I know in my heart that they probably will. Should be sweet!

Escape From New York #4: This comic is near and dear to my heart and I'm stoked as all heck for the next issue because we're almost at the culmination of this arc. Hopefully Snake can make it out of Florida in one piece, bt we already know he does because the comic takes place before Escape From L.A.

The Walking Dead #138: One of my faves and with the last issue being so "shocking" of an end, how could I not want to see more. I have high hopes for where the story is going and I'm hoping for some more zombie action in between, but worse comes to worse, Kirkman wil still deliver some quality.

Whew! What a week. I need to pace myself...