Weekly Spinner Picks For 02/11/2015

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Thankfully after 2 huge and expensive weeks I get a smaller one to catch my breath with!

Darth Vader #1: This series takes place right after the ending of Star Wars a New Hope and examines the continues battle between the Empire and the Rebel Alliance from Vader’s point of view! I think it will be amazing! It’s written by Kieron Gillen and drawn by Salvador Larroca.

Southern Bastard #7: This series continues to be one of my favorites coming out of the Image camp. This issue continues to look back at Euless Boss’ and how his encounter with a strange man as a kid changed his fate and Craw County forever. The story, as always, is written by Jason Aaron and drawn by Jason Latour. 

Comments

RobertJCross's picture
Not a huge week. But new comics is better than no comics.

Darth Vader #1: I love me some Sith action and the original dark lord is looking to deliver in this issue. The Star Wars hype train is gonna be in full gear until the next movie comes out and I can't wait. Lots of beautiful Star Wars goodies for me to experience.

The Walking Dead #137: I'm rarely disappointed by this comic, thus why I review it monthly. So far, so good. The new season of the TV show starts tonight and I'll be watching (even though it's not as good as the comic).

YIPPEE! Onward HO!
Looking forward to: "Bucky Barnes: Winter Soldier" - This book has been pretty surprising in THR direction it's been going. The art, the writing and the all-around weirdness has been exciting so far. Marco Rudy does some fantastic art and Ales Kot's writing matches Rudy's sense of wonder. Plus, I need to find out what how Quake is doing because I love her so much "Wild's End" - A huge surprise that came out of nowhere is coming to an end. This small, "War of the Worlds" story involving anthromorphic animals has made me laugh, shocked me, and left my mouth open. Sad to see it go. "Thor" - This new Thor just kicks all sorts of ass.
spicytoilet's picture
Short one for me, the one I am looking forward to is;

Darth Vader #1  I think Marvel has done a great job picking up where Dark Horse left off and now we get to see how they dabble with Lord Vader.  I always enjoyed the way Dark Horse portrayed Vader, especially in first person narration.  I can't wait to see what Marvel is going to do here.
Kalem Lalonde's picture
Only 3 comics this week, but that's okay, last week was insane and we're getting Kingsman's release this Friday!

Darth Vader #1: This one is a no-brainer to me. It's Darth Vader, arguably the greatest villain of all time, starring in his own solo series. Not only is that idea incredible, this book has also got an extremely solid creative team in the form of Kieron Gillen and Salvador Lorroca. I'm sure this is going to be a great read, and I can't wait!

Southern Bastards #7: This is probably my favourite ongoing series right now and I've missed it over the last month. There's no doubting the quality of this issue so I can't wait to read it, which I will go do now! 

Constantine Season (Series?) Finale: I don't think I'm supposed to be talking about T.V. shows in this section but I'm really excited to see this episode. Constantine is a cool case-of-the-week show but I'm eager to see it deal with the rising darkness everyone's been speaking about here. I'm truly hoping this won't be the end of this fun series. #SaveConstantine
louis whiteford's picture
As much as I try to keep up with the comics, there's a lot of books I haven't gotten around to, and a lot of books I'll never gt around to. There's nothing coming out this week that I'm in the mood to buy, so I looked for something to put in the "eventually" pile. Lately, I've been more concerned with comics having great art than anything else. Shutter seems to hav some fascinating art, and Elephantmen seems to be an increasingly looming figure on the fringes, but I think the comic I'm most curious about right right now is Valiant Comic's Rai, by Matt Kindt and Clayton Crain. Clayton Crain's had some weird art throughout the years. His heavily computerized style  has aged and improved much more than a lot of his digital peers, and Rai  looks like his best work yet.