The Blogging Dead : Episode 7 : When the Dead Come Knocking (aired Nov 25, 2012)

lucstclair's picture

Welcome to the weekly (hopefully) reviews of everyone’s favourite and only zombie TV show, The Walking Dead. Every Monday, I will bring you my thoughts & feelings on AMC’s break out hit. These will not be spoiler free reviews, I repeat, these will not be spoiler free reviews. You’ve been warned. I’ll compare the story & characters to the comic book series, so if you’re not caught up with the series, too bad. I’ll talk about the actors, the action, my beefs & maybe some predictions as to which direction the show will go. I’m a little late with the last episode, so I’ll jump right in. Please feel free to leave your comments, or if I left out anything important (I probably will).

Another kick ass episode walker fans! Merle goes overboard when he unleashes a walker on a tied up Glen, but Glen lets his talents shine as a true walker-slayer and is saved by a crushed chair & duct tape. I’ll bet Red Green never thought of this one. I wouldn’t be surprised if the next time a group goes against a horde of walkers, they’ll sleeve up with the mighty duct tape. I’ll take ripped arm hairs against being a buffet for a bunch of flesh eating zombies any day. 

There’s a feel good moment that got me choked up when Carol rejoins the group (c’mon Daryl give the woman a hug at least). It’s obvious that Carol will take care of baby Judith to help out Rick & Carl, the baby will fill a void for Carol after losing her own daughter last season. Michonne narrowly escapes, as she joins the prison group and gets patched up by Hershel. She witnesses the Carol reunion and we get a sense that she has a good feeling that this is a tight knit group who look out for each. Her judge of character is spot on, because it didn’t take her long to realize what kind of man the Governor is (she even describes him as a Jim Jones type pretty boy that I thought was hilarious), although she really needs to chill out a little bit. We get it, you’re a bad ass, sword-wielding walker killer, but would it kill you to smile a little bit, you’ve just been saved lady!

I was watching the scene where the Governor orders Maggie to take her top off and it suddenly hit me. This show has an abundance of stabbings, shootings, cuttings, head bashings & mutilations and not just for the walkers too. Also the occasional cuss words. But you can’t have a character bare breasted? AMC has a weird sense of censorship. If this were HBO, it’d be a whole different ball game. It’s not so much a complaint, but an observation. Going back to Maggie’s interrogation scene, if that was comic book Governor, taking her top off would’ve been the least of her worries. Just ask comic book Michonne. We get an unhealthy dose of blood & gore, as the guy from the house gets torn apart by walkers in an homage to Dawn of The Dead. Let the intestines fly!

The Milton & Andrea scene testing on a recently died old man was a complete failure, as Milton learns a harsh lesson in Walkers 101. Andrea reminds him “All traces of the person that once was, is gone forever”. The shit really hits the fan at the end when Merle informs the Governor that Glen & Maggie’s group have taken over the prison, the very same prison the Governor & his people have tried to overtake for themselves, resulting in the creation of Woodbury.

So I think that’s it for this week’s episode, I am so looking forward to next week’s mid-season finale as Rick’s people attempt a rescue attempt at Woodbury. It’s gonna be epic! I miss T-Dog, but not Lori. Is that wrong? See you next week.

Comments