Weekly Spinner Picks 12/31/2013

stephengervais's picture

Wow, I can’t believe another year has come and gone!  I know it’s cliché to say but man do the years ever go by quickly the older I get! I want to thank everyone who reads and writes for our little website! It’s been such a fun year watching Comics: The Gathering develop and I think 2014 will be our breakout year where we really see our community grow. If you enjoy what we’re doing here please share our link with your friends or post it on your local comic book shop’s bulletin board and help us spread the word.

I hope everyone had a great holiday break and got to see all their friends and family. Hopefully you got to sneak in some comic book reading as well!! I had a bit of free time and started reading my League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Omnibus. I’m really enjoying it!

Alright now let’s get down to business here are my most anticipated comic book releases for the week. It’s a smallish week but after the holiday spending I’m not complaining. Let us know what you are looking forward to in the comment section below the article.

Dead Boy Detectives #1: When Vertigo comics previewed their releases for the year this is one of the titles that immediately caught my attention. Now I admit I’ve never read Sandman before this year but it’s always been on my to-read list. When Vertigo announced this title along with Overture they gave me the push and incentive to finally sit down and read the acclaimed series. Before you ask, yes I am sorry I didn’t read it sooner. It really lived up to the praise and was a fantastic reading experience. Now to get back to the topic at hand, this series is a spinoff from Sandman written by Toby Litt and Mark Buckingham. Buckingham also handles the art duties along with Gary Erskine. The story takes our dead detectives back to the setting in which they were murdered, St. Hilarions School.  Here they find themselves protecting their new acquaintance, Crystal, from suffering the same fate as them as well as uncovering clues on their demise.

Twilight Zone #1: Being a big fan of the Twilight Zone television series growing up I must say I’m pretty pumped to see this title on the racks! This current comic incarnation of the popular show is being brought to us by Dynamite Entertainment. They’ve recruited J. Michael Straczynski  to write at least the first 3 issues and the stories will be brought to life by artist Guiu Vilanova. I do have to also mention the cover will be drawn by one of my personal favorites, Francesco Francavilla. The story surrounds a millionaire Wall Street investor who’s embezzled his fortune and is on the verge of collapsing the economy. To avoid the consequences of his actions he hires a firm to help him disappear and live the life of luxury. I know this sounds more like a current newspaper article but I’m sure this creative team will push the premise into the Twilight Zone!!

Comments