Weekly Spinner Picks for 12/24/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Here it is! My last Spinner Picks of 2014! It's been a great year for comics and I get the feeling 2015 may just top this one! Ok on with the show, here are my picks of the week:

Black Science #11: This title has consistently been one of my favorites of 2014. I’m so happy to get one last installment before the New Year. As always, this is written by Rick Remender and drawn by Matteo Scalera. This issue closes out the second arc so it’s not the greatest jumping on point but keep an eye out for the next trade if you haven’t been keeping up. It’s well worth it. The series has been a well written adventure with gorgeous artwork.

Graveyard Shift #1: There are two #1s coming out from Image Comics this week. This one and They’re Not Like Us. I may end up getting both but this one I’ll be picking up for sure. It’s written by Jay Faerber and drawn by Fran Bueno. It’s being advertised as new tale of crime, horror, and romance! Three of my favorite themes! It revolves around a homicide detective and his girlfriend whose love is put to the test when they run afoul with a gang of vampires. Sounds pretty cool and the cover is amazing!

Secret Avengers #11: This is a great series that caught me by surprise this year. I’m not the biggest follower of Avengers comics generally but I really dig this title. It’s written by Ales Kot and drawn by Michael Walsh. Lots going on in this issue, Hawkeye faces off against Coulson, Vladimir makes a deal with Fury, and the Helicarrier is under attack! Sounds like an action-filled read to me!

Robin Rises Alpha #1: Batman’s been to the hell of Apokalips to retrieve his son’s body. What has he brought back and who is the new Robin? Ok ok all our loyal readers know I haven’t been following this arc but I just have to say what the payoff is for the much talked about arc! This issue is written by Peter Tomasi and drawn by Jonathan Glapion and Andy Kubert.

I may end up picking up more of the DC Darwyn Cooke variants as well. They are absolutely gorgeous! That's it for Spinner Picks in 2014! Thank you very much to everyone who has read the column and participated throughout the year! It's been a ton of fun and we'll continue the adventure in 2015! Thanks again everyone!!

Comments

spicytoilet's picture

These are the books I am most looking forward to reading in front of the fireplace!

They're Not Like Us #1  This book is hosting a teenage generation that act different, think different and even have abilities.  Apparently they're not like us.  I have no idea what that means but I am going to find out! 

Graveyard Shift #1  Faerber and Bueno are bringing out one for the ages.  We can expect vampires, suspense, some mystery and probably horror.  This one’s gonna be great, I can feel it. 

RobertJCross's picture
Nice, another week of quality content!

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes #2: Oh man, so stoked for this one! Love the entire series and the first issue was great. I'm hoping to see what develops and if they sway away from the obvious in terms of story. Either way, should be good.

Sleepy Hollow #3: Still haven't watched the show! BUT IT'S ON MY BACKLOG! I promise I will, because I actually dig this comic and the history in every issue that they use to explain all of the random occurrences that happen to all the characters. Also should be a good one!

That's all this week! Can't wait!
Vannary Sok's picture
I'll be playing catch up with comics over the holiday so I'm looking forward to adding these to the pile.

Outcast #6: I'm hoping we'll get more details about what the characters are exactly dealing with. This issue promises a very startling conclusion for atleast the first portion of this devishly creepy series while setting up for the hell and chaos that is to come. I say bring it on.

Graveyard Shift #1: Described as having "fright night style thrills" and "Castle style crime solving"? Everything about that just sounds freaking awesome so I'm all in.

Hawkeye Vs Deadpool #3: What I love and continue to enjoy with this 4 issue series is the constant bickering between Deadpool and Hawkeye. Really, their relationship is the best part and I'm going to laugh all the way through to the end.