Spinner Picks For 11/26/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

A pretty small week for me.

OdyC #1: A new #1 from Image Comics written by Matt Fraction and drawn by Christian Ward is an automatic buy from me! In the aftermath of a galactic war a 100 years long, Odyssia and compatriots begin their journey home. The series is being described as a psychedelic science-fiction odyssey. Count me onboard for the journey!

Punk Rock Jesus Deluxe Edition HC : Normally I don’t double dip with my comic book purchases. Meaning if I have the monthly issues I won’t buy the trade and vise-versa but this Sean Murphy offering has me breaking my rules. I absolutely loved this series and think it’ll look even better in an oversized format. To top it all off there’s 100 bonus pages included. Even though I own the singles I can’t wait for this hardcover! I love it so much that I’ll be paying full price for it at my local comic book shop. I can’t wait another week for the Amazon release!

Comments

spicytoilet's picture

Hi guys, I’m back!  Here’s what I’m craving this week.

Memetic #2  The way the first issue ended left more questions to be asked!  I gotta know where that meme came from and what its purpose is.  Doesn’t hurt that the art and lettering are bad ass too.

ODYC #1  The war’s over and the troops are going back home.  And I’m pretty sure there’s gonna be trouble on the way.  This book isn't even out yet and the previews got me salivating!  Definately picking up an extra one to CGC.

Wayward #4  Has anyone else read this yet?  It’s freaking brilliant!  I gave #1 a shot and it intrigued me.  #2 & #3 stuck the hook in me.  The plot finally revealed itself and I can’t wait for it to mature some more.  

Scarlet Spiders #1  The clones are together in their own Spider-Verse series!  Nuff said no?  I wonder if more Parker clones are gonna show up.  I guess we’re going to find out soon enough.

RobertJCross's picture
DUDE!!!!

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes #1: I can't tell you how stoked I am for this. My grandfather played a Gorilla in the original movies and I've loved PotA ever since. The new movies are just as rad! Totally ready to read this NOW!

GI Joe #3: Gotta see how my COBRA brethren deal with the Joes. This comic has been pretty solid so far and that opinion is coming from someone who has never been a huge fan of GI Joe until now. Should be a good read.

This week looks pretty sweet!
Kalem Lalonde's picture
Pretty small week for me.

Odyc #1
Don’t know anything about this title, besides that it’s written by Matt Fraction who writes the phenomenal Sex Criminals. That’s all I need to know to be excited for this one.

Superior Iron-Man #2
I really loved Superior Iron-Man #1 and that warrants excitement for issue #2!

New Avengers #27
Ah New Avengers, how you always please me. Every time I read New Avengers I feel immersed into the complex story Hickman is telling. I saw there’s a new artist joining the writer and I checked out his tumblr. He seems to be an amazing storyteller and I can’t wait to see what he brings to the table in this issue.

Superman #36
I love Geoff Johns. His Green Lantern run is part of my favourites of all time and I’m loving his Superman run! I’m hoping we get to see more of the awesome Machinist in this issue but I’m sure I’ll enjoy it either way. Johns rarely disappoints.
louis whiteford's picture
Is Superior Foes of Spider-Man coming out this wednesday, oris Marvel just adding and deleting it from their new releases every week in som effort to drive me mad? I hope it's the former. Superior Foes has had it's ups and downs, but issue 16 was damn nera perfect, and I can't wait to see how Spencer and Lieberman wrap it all up.

Prophet: Strikefile #2 is finally coming out this week too. Strikefile #1 was an invaluable guide to the world of Prophet, and this one should be too.  Most importantly, with both of these books released, it means we're that much closer to Prophet: Earth War!

Madman in Your Face 3D Special - This one sells itself, right? Well, just in case, Mike Allred's first Madman comic in years also features contributions from (big breath) Paolo Rivera, Marcos Martin, Jae Lee, Eduardo Risso, Emma Rios, Nick Dragota, Andrew Robinson, Sean Murphy, Maris Wicks, Aaron Conley, Jenny Frisson, Declan Shalvey, Becky Cloonan, Joe Quinones, Nick Bradshaw, Ming Doyle and MORE. It also reprints (in 3d, no less) the story "Swiped From Dimension X" where Allred drew almost every panel in the style of a different artist.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #40 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Turtle Power! This one should be good because Alopex and Angel are on the cover. Could they be the stars of thtis issue? It's been a while since either of them had a lot to do besides show up for a page or two. Read my inevitably forth-coming review to find out!
Forrest.H's picture
It seems like everyone's small weeks are always my big weeks. 

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 1: I absolutely loved this movie and I love seeing how creators handle expanded universes so I'm looking forward to this. 

Memetic 2: Weird concept that I thought was going to make me roll my eyes but was pulled off incredibly well in issue 1. I'm sad it's only 3 issues but I'm looking forward to how the story progresses in this one.

Baltimore Wolf and Apostle 2: Mignolaverse is doing a lot of these weird little runs right now that I don't think give enough breathing room to the complexity of these stories but I still end up loving them anyways.

POP 4: Issue 3 blew me away. I really hope this conclusion doesn't sour it.

Arkham Manor 2: Incredibly unbelievable concept being pulled of incredibly well. I don't really gravitate towards super stories and espeically not antiquated ones like Batman but there's something different about this one, really digging it. 

Rasputin 2: I think I want to like this because I like PROOF so much and I have a lot of faith in these creators, I hope there's more here than there was in issue 1 but I'm looking forward to it either way.

ODY-C 1: I kind of dabble in Matt Fraction's stuff even though I know it's really popular and highly regarded. I feel like the art will keep me on this one and I think the gender-bent concept is cool.