Spinner Picks for 11/19/2014

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

BPRD Hell On Earth #125: You know that one title you always look forward to every month no matter what? Well BPRD is that title for me. It’s a personal favorite that I find keeps getting better and better. It’s honestly never disappointed me! It’s brought to us of course by Dark Horse Comics and written as always by Mike Mignola and John Arcudi. This issue marks the return of artist James Harren.

Intersect #1: This new ongoing monthly horror series by Image Comics is written and drawn by Ray Fawkes. It looks absolutely terrifying! From the preview pages the art looks painted giving it a truly beautiful haunted vibe. The story has something to do with bodies merging, blood raining from the sky, and a child’s song translated into toxic, thought-destroying whispers! I’m really not sure it what it all means but I can’t wait to find out!

Teen Titans Earth One Vol.1: I’ve been thinking really hard and I don’t think I’ve ever read a Teen Titans story! That will all change this week when I pick up the latest Earth One graphic novel from DC. I really don’t know much about it except it’s written by one of my all-time favorite writers, Jeff Lemire. Also the preview pages drawn by Terry Dodson look amazing. 

Comments

RobertJCross's picture
Lots of good comics this week...

Annihilator #3: Such a great and underrated comic so far. Lots of mind-blowing story elements and art that absolutely have to be experienced.

Godzilla Cataclysm #4: This run has been pretty solid, more so because of the art than the writing, but that's just as well with a Godzilla franchise.

Hellraiser Bestiary #4: Another killer comic that I absolutely love because of the visuals, but the writing is pretty solid in this one as well. Pinhead reigns supreme.

Sleepy Hollow #2: I actually liked the first issue enough to want to check out the second. I still haven't watched the show, but you get the jist of it just from the covers.

Stoked!
Kalem Lalonde's picture
New Avengers #26/Avengers #38
Yes I’m putting both of these comics in the same pick, they’re essentially the same book now. I’ve been loving what Hickman has been doing from the start and Time Runs Out has been even better. There all so many plot lines in these books and Hickman manages to weave them perfectly together while making them all interesting. Hickman is a master of his craft and this is some of his best superhero work so I’m excited for every one of these issues. They’re always at the TOP of my reading list and I’m never disappointed.

Moon Knight #9
Brian Wood and Greg Smallwood have been doing a bangup job carrying on the torch for Ellis and Shalvey. They’re following in the footsteps of their predecessors while finding their own unique voice. The first two issues were very enjoyable with #7 being a remarkably creative comic with its storytelling methods. An underlying plot has been building and I’m eager to see it come to the forefront of this book rather and having one-shot like stories. Either way Moon Knight is always a great read.

Daredevil #10
Guys, it’s Daredevil. No further explanation needed.

Loki: Agent of Asgard #8
Lee Garbett is back on art duties! While Coelho was a strong replacement for 2 issues, he doesn’t have that same expressively fun art that Garbett has. The artist really contributed to my enjoyment of the first 5 issues and having him back is a joy. I’m hoping Loki gets a little more spotlight in this issue considering the Axis arc has been focus on Doctor Doom. Not that that’s a bad thing, it’s just better to have Loki be the main character of his own book. Doom was fun while it lasted but this is a Loki book and I’m hoping that that’s what we get this week.

Wonder Woman #36
I’m trying this one out because Meredith Finch is a new writer and I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt. Her selection has been a tad controversial and I can’t help but want to see the finished product of a book that has been so heavily discussed. I did also enjoy David Finch’s art in Forever Evil so I’m sure I’ll like it here as well.
Forrest.H's picture

Small week for me but I'm still recovering from my car accident this week and trying to keep up with finals so that's okay I suppose:

Goners #2: The first issue was a mixed bag for me. Probably the weakest Image #1 I've read but also one that promised intrigue, action and real potential. I'm attracted to the goonies meets hellboy themes and I want to see where this is going for better or worse. 

Sinergy #1: A girl who can see inter-dimensional beings that feed on the energy created by sinning people? yes please. 

Intersect #1: I'll be honest, I have no idea what this is about. Monsters? aliens? a Constantine like hero fighting those things? I have no idea. The one thing, and it's a big thing, that's attracting me, is the all watercolor art. I'm a sucker for things like that I guess.