Spinner Picks For 07/29/2015

Kalem Lalonde's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list in the comment section below!

Robbie J’s Pick

Shrinking Man #1: After seeing Ant-Man this past week, I've developed a taste for humans who can shrink. There's something psychological about shrinking. Like a Benjamin Button type scenario but on purpose I guess. Anyway, this comic looks to be good on that front.

Louie’s Picks

How many ways can someone say Hellboy comics are always good? Because there's a Lobster Johnson one-shot this week, and guess what, it's probably going to be good.  It's all about Lobster Johnson rescuing a hostage Santa Claus,  if that's your thing, and if it isn't your thing, maybe it will be after this comic. Lobster Johnson: A Chain Forged in Life. Mignola and Arcudi write. Troy Nixey and Kevin Nowlan draw. 

Also dropping this week is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #48. The end is nigh for this version of the Turtles. Three issues left, counting this one. These past few years have been a blast, but alas, it's time for this great series to end. Tom Waltz and Mateus Santolouco steer the reins.

TMNT isn't the only series calling it quits. Mark Waid and Chris Samnee's Daredevil only has one issue left after #17.  Everybody get ready to get weepy. 

Kalem’s Picks

Southern Bastards #10: There’s no book I look more forward to than Southern Bastards. This is the masterpiece of one of the greatest writers of our generation and I can’t see wait to see how good issue #10 is.

Star Wars #7: I’m not a big fan of Simone Bianchi but he seems to be putting everything he’s got into this issue. The past adventures of Obi-Wan are very intriguing and given how great this title has been I’m looking forward to seeing what Jason Aaron came up with.

Sex Criminals #11: It’s been a really long time since issue #10 is released and I don’t entirely remember what happened it in but I don’t care. I’ll find any excuse to re-read Sex Criminals, it’s just that good. Hopefully it can maintain a more consistent schedule for the rest of the year!

Stevie G's picks:

Daredevil #17: Second last issue for this fantastic run by writer Mark Waid and artist Chris Samnee! I absolutely love this DD run but I’m excited not only to see how they wrap it up but I’m also anxious for a new team to put their mark on the Man Without Fear! It’s been a very entertaining read so a big thank you to the creative team!

Southern Bastards #10: Writer Jason Aaron and artist Jason Latour’s creator owned masterpiece returns this week! I just got caught up on the series this past weekend and I’m super pumped to read what happens next. It seems every issue has something that surprises me. Can’t wait to see what it is this month!

Comments