Spinner Picks For 07/15/2015

Kalem Lalonde's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list in the comment section below!

I’m going to see Ant-Man this Wednesday and I couldn’t be more excited. It’s not getting the best critical response but I don’t really mind. Every nerd and fan of comic book movies only has good things to say about it. I’m positive I’m going to love it and I think this is going to become Marvel’s first underdog movie. Comic Con was pretty strong this weekend and the DC panel definitely stood out. The BVS trailer made my excitement sky rocket and it’s now my most anticipated film of 2016. The format of Spinners has been change to include everyone's picks in the main article. Hopefuly you like the new formatting as it will bring a more consistent variety of tastes! Now let’s take a look at what comics we’re all looking forward to! 

Stephen’s Picks

Hawkeye #22: After several delays one of my all time favorite runs is wrapping up this week, Matt Fraction and David Aja’s Hawkeye! To me this series changed a part of the industry. They took a B-level Avenger and not only made him a star but won major industry awards while doing so. Such a fantastic run. This will be one I double dip in when the omnibus comes out. I will miss #Hawkguy!!

Postal #5: Great timing on the release of this latest offering from Top Cow Productions. I just bought and finished the first trade, which collects #1-4, last week. Writer Matt Hawkins has created a very unique new world and I’m anxious to get more answers about it with this second story arc. Bryan Hill is co-writing this issue with Isaac Goodhart handling the art duties.

Godzilla in Hell #1: The first Godzilla book I ever read  was the 2012 critically acclaimed series, The Half-Century War. I was hooked immediately by the story but more so by the mind-blowing artwork. Well the good folks at IDW Publishing have once again recruited the genius behind Half-Century War, James Stokoe, to draw and write this latest Godzilla mini-series. Each issue of this mini-series will see Godzilla do battle with a different underworld figure. I have super high expectations for this run and also have no doubt they will be met. Don’t miss out on this one folks!

Frank’s (F.D.) Picks

Green Lantern: The Lost Army #2: After a really fun first issue, I've been pretty excited to see where this story goes. I love John Stewart and I really hope this becomes a classic story for him.

Hail Hydra #1: this looks like it'll be Rick Remender's last Marvel story for awhile. So hopefully he ends on a high note.

Justice League #42: Darkseid War. That is all.

Forrest’s Picks

The Fiction #2 (BOOM!):  Curt Pires is my favorite writer in comics right now. He effortlessly blends metafiction, satire, violence and psychedelics in this modern day Hunter S. Thompson kind of way. It also helps that he has a knack for picking great artists like David Rubin here for The Fiction.  I thought the first issue of this book was promising if, a little childish but, I have full faith in this duo of creators and, I'm looking forward to what's coming. 

Death Head #1 (Dark Horse): If there's anything Dark Horse really nails (excluding Hellboy and BPRD, my first true comic loves) it's horror. This plauge doctor killer starring book could be hit or miss but, I'm going to give it a shot. 

Island #1 (Image): I have great faith in both Emma Rios of Pretty Deadly and, Brandon Graham of Prophet. Now, it looks like Image does too. This is the first issue, oversized with no ads, of a new monthly comics magazine ala heavy metal that's going to show off work from different creators around the globe. I'm about that, really about that. 

Robbie J’s Picks

Godzilla In Hell #1: This book sounds interesting, not just because I LOVE Godzilla, but because we know just from the title that he's gonna be faced with a huge challenge. He's beaten every monster on Monster Island and alien to Earth so he'll most definitely beat this one...even if he "dies" trying....

Book of Death #1: Looks pretty cool and I love Bloodshot so yeah! Valiant is actually surprising the hell out of everybody lately with both their releases and with the announcement of a film franchise. Upward rise from that company for sure.

Kalem’s Picks

Ant-Man Annual #1: Dropping on the same day that I get to see Ant-Man is this sure to be wonderful annual. Nick Spencer’s Ant-Man has been the sleeper hit of the year while also being my 2nd favourite Marvel comic (yes, I’m a Secret Wars/Hickman fanboy)! Nick Spencer has written what I see as the defining Ant-Man comic. It has great humour, strong heart and a grounded feel that focuses on family. The latter really elevates this comic from just being a fun comedy to an amazing story that defines how Ant-Man should be written.

Dr. Fate #2: Doctor Fate #1 really wasn’t what I was expecting. I virtually know nothing about Doctor Fate and I thought that he was DC’s doctor strange but it didn’t seem that way in issue #1. It felt a bit like Shazam with the Egyptian mythology but it was still able to distinguish itself among other DC titles. I’m looking forward to see this story develop and for Fate to come into his own and save the day.

Book of Death #1: I’m really enjoying everything Valiant is doing right now and Book of Death intrigues me. Robert Venditti is one of my favourite Valiant writers and he nailed it with Armor Hunters. I think he’ll be able to pull another event off with Book of Death.

Green Lantern: The Lost Army #2: I love the Green Lantern Crops, and hot off the announcement of that movie title has me more excited than I’ve been about these characters since Johns left. Cullen Bunn crushed it with the debut issue of The Lost Army and the cliffhanger left room for another awesome second issue. 

Comments