Spinner Picks For 07/08/2015

Kalem Lalonde's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list!

Civil War #1: Civil War is a comic that came from an incredible idea. But unfortunately it never became an incredible story. Mark Millar’s mini-series never lived up to the political promise of his principle idea. It became more about heroes smashing heroes than conflicting ideologies. I’m hoping that Charles Soule can bring that to the forefront of his new series, bringing more depth to an idea that could result in one of the best superhero comics ever written.

Archie #1: I don’t have a lot to say about Archie because I’ve never read it. I don’t really care what this comic is about candidly which tells you what I think about the creative team. Fiona Staples on anything is a must-buy and adding Mark Waid to the mix makes it insanely appealing.

Star Wars Lando #1: From what I understand, Lando’s new comic is a heist book from Charles Soule and Alex Maleev. Lando is one of my favourite Star Wars character and definitely needs his own mini-series. Maleev and Soule are a brilliant creative team and I’m positive they’ll bring entertainment and great portrayals of a character we know and love.

Batman #42: Everything about Scott Snyder’s Batman run has been impressive. Snyder is writing one the greatest Batman runs of all time and this arc may be his most intriguing yet. Endgame ended with a perfect death for Batman but of course he isn’t truly dead and the cliffhanger of issue #41 suggested that. I’m hoping we’ll find out the true fate of Bruce Wayne in this issue. 

Comments