Spinner Picks for 01/25/2017

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list in the comment section below!

Here are my hot picks of the week!

Kamandi Challenge #1: This has to be one of the best ideas to come out of any of the publishing houses in a long time! There will be a new creative team on each issue leaving the craziest cliff-hanger they can think of for the next creative team to tackle! It sounds like an amazing idea to me and I really can’t wait to see how it all plays out. The first issue will be written by Dan Abnett and Dan Didio with the art done by Dale Eaglesham, Keith Giffen, and Scott Koblish. I’ve always wanted to read the original Kamandi by the late great Jack Kirby and I think this will push me to seek it out.

Loose Ends #1: This newest title by writer Jason Latour is described as “a gritty, slow-cooked, Southern crime romance”. Latour is joined by artist Chris Brunner for this 4 issue mini-series from Image Comics. From what I’ve seen this should be a dandy.

Animosity the Rise #1 One Shot: This one shot spins out of the main series Animosity from Aftershock comics. It’s written by the regular writer Marguerite Bennett and drawn by Juan Doe. This one shot explores how the wake affected other parts of the world. I absolutely love the main series which I picked up on a whim and always recommend to all who will listen. So many good comics coming out this week but this may be the first issue I read on Wednesday.

The Dregs #1: One of my favorite publishers of last year, Black Mask Studios, has a new series debuting this week, The Dregs. I enjoyed a lot of their books last year and will continue to try everything they put out. No pun intended with this book centering on cannibalism of homeless people! This series is written by Lonnie Nadler and Zac Thompson with the art by Eric Zawadzki.

Star Wars #27: The last issue had one heck of a last page and I’ve been looking forward to this issue ever since! This one takes a break from the main storyline to give Yoda some ink as he finds himself on a strange world full of vicious mysteriously powered children. The issue as always is written by Jason Aaron with the art by Salvador Larroca.

Comments