Spinner Picks for 01/11/2017

stephengervais's picture
Weekly Spinner Picks is all about the hot comics of the week and getting to know the tastes of the writers at Comics: The Gathering. Each week the CTG contributors spotlight which comics they are most looking forward to on Wednesday and how those picks got to the top of their to-read piles. Let us know if you agree or not with our picks and most importantly don’t forget to add your list in the comment section below!

Here are my hot picks of the week!

God Country #1:  Image Comics kicks of 2017 with a new #1 from one heck of a creative team, writer Donny Cates and artist Geoff Shaw. This will be the third series this duo has worked on and from the preview pages I’ve seen it looks like their best.  The story follows Emmit Quinlan, a father who suffers from dementia, whose Texas town is leveled by a tornado. As Emmit emerges from the storm, now with a magical sword in hand, it becomes up to him to defend the town from monsters that have been drawn to the presence of this mysterious sword.

Grave Lilies #1: This is one of those issues that proves to me that you can’t keep on top of everything coming out. I just heard about it this past weekend even though it’s written by one of my favorite creators, Cullen Bunn. Bunn partners up with artist George Kambadais for this series published by Z2 Comics. The series follows five women who have emerged from a disaster unharmed. Not only that but they have also developed new superhero abilities. I really don’t a lot about the series but I’m drawn to it. This title is my most anticipated read of the week.

Amazing Spider-Man Renew Your Vows #3: This has been a fun series from writer Gerry Conway and artist Ryan Stegman. It’s been a while since I’ve followed a Spidey book and this has been filling that itch. It’s a ton of fun and Stegman’s art is as always great! I don’t think it’s a part of continuity but that has never been a huge concern for me, I just like an entertaining story.

IVX #2: I’ve been off the x-books for a year or so but Marvel got me excited with all their Resurxxion teasers. I’ve decided to jump back in with the latest x-event, IVX. So far I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the series. It’s co-written by Charles Soule and Jeff Lemire with the art duties handled by Leinil Francis Yu. It feels good to be reading the X-Men again. I’ve missed them! I just hope this puts an end to all the Inhuman/X-Men conspiracy theories. In fact I hope this puts an end to Marvel trying to push Inhumans on me!

Jughead #12: By far my favorite Archie Comics series right now. I laugh out loud each and every issue! This is a new arc and a great jumping on point. The issue is written by Ryan North with art handled by Derek Charm and Jack Morelli. This issue has Jughead versus Riverdale in a video game go-kart race to the finish with Reggie sweetening the pot to the ultimate winner.

Comments